In 1867, while Rev. W.A. Barrett was the pastor of Maple Springs Baptist, our Mother Church, the black members formed the Franklin County Religious Assembly. Later, they renamed this Church to Elm Grove Baptist Church which later became known as Nelson Chapel Missionary Baptist Church.
Even though this congregation was established separate from the white Church some black members remained members of Maple Springs Baptist Church until death.
The Franklin County Religious Assembly’s first building was a one room log cabin structure. It was situated about 150 yards from where the Church now stands. Space inside the Church was limited and at revival time, a “bush harbor’ was built in front of the door to accommodate mourners.
In 1898, the Church made a few additions which include the bell tower that still stands today. In 1933 a new building was built on the site of the present structure.
Along with the addition of a fellowship hall and educational department, indoor restrooms, Baptismal Pool and services were increased to twice a month during the pastorate of Rev. E. L. Brodie, 1965-1990.
Much recognition surrounded Nelson Chapel as Reverend Emma P. Solomon became the first woman to pastor a Baptist Church, in Franklin County. The church has grown much and in 2006 additional Sunday School classes and expansion to the fellowship hall were completed.